The mainstream service system for children with developmental delay is known to be complex and difficult to navigate. The Pathways for Children with Developmental Delays (PCDD) project involved key service providers in Melbourne’s west working together to provide clarity about eligibility and pathways for public services for children with developmental delay and to streamline service provision.
Phase One Consultation
In 2016-2017 HealthWest consulted widely with service providers and referrers across the western metropolitan region of Melbourne. The Pathways for Children with Developmental Delay report describes the key service system challenges, the nature and implications of these challenges, opportunities for regional improvements and key recommendations to address these.
- The Phase One Summary Report outlines the key findings and recommendations.
- The Phase One Project Report includes detailed findings related to the project, and appendices.
Following on from Phase One, PCDD project partners felt it was important to address key concerns raised during the consultation, and to continue to monitor the system for changes and challenges, and respond collectively. Phase Two ran from May 2017 – December 2018.
- The Phase Two Project Report provides an overview of Phase Two project activities and outcomes, and outlines a series of recommendations.
Referral Decision Aid
Development of the Referral Decision Aid was a key activity of Phase Two of the PCDD project. The Referral Decision Aid was designed to support the referral of preschool-aged children with developmental delays to appropriate services in Melbourne’s west, in a timely manner.
In 2018, HealthWest engaged First Person Consulting to conduct a process and impact evaluation, exploring the short-term outcomes of the Referral Decision Aid, as well as documenting key lessons learned in the process that can inform future work of a similar nature in Melbourne’s west and beyond.
- Read the Evaluation of the Referral Decision Aid report here.
This project was guided by the PCDD Alliance; a project advisory group consisting of representation from western service providers and State Government.
- Djerriwarrh Health Service
- IPC Health
- Western Health
- Royal Children’s Hospital
- Department of Education and Training Early Childhood Intervention Service (ECIS) intake
- Department of Health and Human Services (Western Region)
Mindy Allott, Systems Integration Manager
Phone 9248 9658 or firstname.lastname@example.org