Refugee & Asylum Seeker Mental Health
The Integrated Mental Health Services for Asylum Seekers and Refugees Project commenced in September 2013. The project sought to promote cross-sector integration and promote equitable access to, and participation in the mainstream mental health system.
The project was implemented by a partnership resourced through HealthWest. The partner agencies represent the adult public mental health sector, settlement services, specialist refugee health services and a range of health and community services organisations working in the local area. This partnership now operates as the Refugee & Asylum Seeker Mental Health Working Group under the auspice of the Mid West Area Mental Health Alliance.
HealthWest actively participates in and supports the activities of the working group.
In 2016 HealthWest received a small grant to continue enhancing the work of the public mental health service system in Melbourne’s west. The existing working group functioned as the advisory group.
Resources and previous work
- Case studies resource – an educational resource for staff from organisations whom work with people from refugee and asylum seeker background who are experiencing mental health difficulties.
- Referral pathways tool and support documents– a tool to support workers to refer to mental health services.
- Final Report Summary June 2017 – Improving access to mental health services for refugees and asylum seekers.
- Integrated Mental Health for Refugees Asylum Seekers Project Report – final report.
- Refugee Health Service Coordination Project (2007-11)
- Between 2007-11 HealthWest assisted a range of health and community service professionals and organisations to identify and improve their responses to the specific needs of refugee communities. HealthWest developed a number of resources to support services, including Refugee Care Pathways, Refugee Health Service Coordination Guide for Victoria 2009 and Referral Guide for General Practice June 2011.
Tanya Sofra, Systems Integration Manager
Phone 9248 9659 or email@example.com