What is Community Leadership in the West?
Community in the West aims to support community leadership from various backgrounds, trainings and special interest areas. Mainly by addressing the identified gaps of networking, supporting existing programs and training, using a co-design approach.
The Community Leadership in the West project seeks to establish two networks to improve networking and knowledge sharing in the western region:
- One for service providers, local governments and organisational representatives that have an interest, focus or currently run any community leadership programs in the western region, and
- A Community Leadership Network led by community leaders, for community leaders (including leadership project graduates, self-identified community leaders and people who are active in their community).
- Learn more about connectwest here!
Where did the idea for a western region-wide community leadership network come from?
A number of priorities emerged for the Community Leadership Forum, run early in 2017. Exploring what would add value and strengthen work in the sector. These include:
- Regional networking, opportunities for community leaders and organisations
- Strengthening post-leadership program pathways
- Support for community leaders in their ongoing leadership and learnings
- An expression of interest has gone out to find those leaders in the community interested in stepping onto a committee.
- A joint group of representative that work in the community leadership space is meeting to brainstorm the project.
- An online map of all the community leadership programs is being created: zeemaps.com/map?group=2489888 (You are welcome to add to this!)
What is community leadership?
Community empowerment and leadership are well recognised as key to contributing to change within complex systems and strengthening community health and wellbeing. This includes highlighting the important role of community and co-design in achieving broader strategic objectives.
Community Leadership in the West recognises all leaders. Those that have gone through formal leadership, governance or champion programs and people active in their community.
Why a co-design approach?
A co-design process lets people come and work together in the design, development and implementation of a project.
Community Leadership in the West is a project to help fill the gaps identified by community leaders and include them throughout the co-production process.
All aimed at improving the networking and knowledge sharing of community leadership and health champions in the western region!
For more information please contact:
Anna Vu, Prevention Manager
9248 9659 or email@example.com