The Pictorial Guides
A resource providing easy to understand tips for living well with diabetes. Information is presented using lots of images and minimal words.
The guides cover 6 topics:
- Managing my diabetes
- Healthy eating
- Exercise and diabetes
- My feet and diabetes
- Diabetes in pregnancy
- Carbohydrate counting in exchanges
Most of the guides are available in:
- Traditional Chinese
- Simplified Chinese
Where can I access the Pictorial Guides?
To access the guides click on the image below.
How do the Guides makes Diabetes Victoria a Health Literate Organisation?
Health Literate Organisations ensure that  :
- Written and verbal communication is tailored to the specific needs of target audiences.
- Consumer education materials are available in commonly used languages through high-quality translation services.
- They use culturally appropriate imagery.
- They use a variety of formats to provide information.
- Health practitioners routinely provide written and verbal information about conditions, procedures and treatment, including the benefits, risks and likelihood of success.
- All consumer education materials are evaluated for appropriateness and effectiveness.
How were the Guides developed?
Diabetes Victoria took the following steps to develop the guides:
- Identified a need for simple diabetes information and key topics
- Conducted a literature review to identify target audience
- Formed a partnership with culturally specific organisations
- Consulted with community members, health professionals and culturally specific organisations to determine content
- Working group reviewed the guides and approved content
- Conducted a readability test and health literacy review
- Photo shoot for images
- Graphic design and printing
- Promotion and dissemination
 Ministry of Health, 2015, Health Literacy Review: A guide. Wellington: Ministry of Health.
 Trezona, Dodson & Osborne, 2017, Organisational Health Literacy Responsiveness (Org-HLR) Self Assessment Tool and User Guide, Deakin University.